[Digestion] Biogas from Begonia, Chrysanthemum and Poinsettia

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Oct 14 19:55:18 CDT 2012

Dear Mr. Tumwesige,

just chop up the material and feed it into the biogas plant. Everything
except the lignin would be turned into biogas. We regularly use green
leaves as feedstock. The midribs and veins accumulated in the biogas plant
as undigested debris are removed by opening a drain valve at the bottom of
the biogas plant.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 1:43 AM, Vianney tumwesige
<trustvianney at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear All,
>
> I recently visited a floriculture farm which produces about ten different
> crops on the farm, however, there are three main crops i.e.poinsettia,
> begonia and chrysanthemum.
> These 3 crops generate about 2 tons of waste per week, though other crops
> have a small waste content. I have attached pictures of the generated
> waste. The idea is to produce
> biogas from this waste. I have not dealt with floriculture waste, I will
> be glad to get your advise.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Vianney Tumwesige
> Director - Green Heat (U) Ltd
> P.O. Box 10235
> Kampala-Uganda
> 256 (0) 71 237 9889
> www.greenheatinternational.com
>
> "The more people are self sufficient in cooking fuel, the more personal
> and financial freedom they have." - Emma Casson

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)