[Digestion] Manure biogas worms

Paul Harris paul.harris at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Sep 3 02:00:51 CDT 2012

Sent on behalf of Wayne,

G'day all!

I've come across an interesting case study using cow manure and
vermiculture. Unfortunately, this list won't let the link be included.
Just google Large-Scale Vermicomposting of Dairy Manure (I hope this is
the link Wayne meant -
http://www.extension.org/sites/default/files/w/1/1a/07decPPherlihy.pdf)

Apart from the obvious digesting of what they pump off to the aeration
lagoon, I was wondering is if is possible to replace their
Pre‐Vermicomposting Conditioning (composting active aeration) stage with
(probably high solids) anaerobic digestion? The goal would be to get
some energy/biogas out of this input material/feedstock but leave enough
food for the worms to eat. That we get biogas, biofertilizer and worms
(as a high protein feed supplement) and well as serious odour
elimination. If it is possible that what sort of retention time are we
looking at optimally?

Blessings,
Wayne

--