[Digestion] Just starting.

Frans Somebody franshenn238 at gmail.com
Mon Dec 2 06:35:08 CST 2013

Thank you Kyle & David
Your quick responses are appreciated & give me more hope that it will work.
Kyle.
1. On temperature. We in Southern Africa are into the hot season, so that
will give us time to run our trials, but my reading indicates that a 10 C
drop in temp from 38 has a significant effect on the time the manure has to
stay in the bag.
As it is, I guesstimate that I would need about 150 bags! As I don't need
the gas, (except to dry the effluent), I will try to heat the bag.
2. I  don't think delivering liquid will be an option. There are machines
that are available (at a cost!),  to extract water to about 40%. Water
removed would be re-used.
3. Larger digester. I  am worried that the larger the digeater the more
likely there will be 'dead zones' & its not so easy to agitate a bag. I
would welcome any more infprmation on this.
4. Pebbles in the droppings. This is a very valid point for me. Although
are birds are in cages, are floors are earth so I will have to use a system
of mix, settle & then pour.
David.
1. That the effluent does not attrack flies is music to my ears!
2. I accept that a bag is short to med term, but I need to start trials &
anyway hopefully others in the world will be re-inventing digesters, within
reason the longer I wait the better chance I have of getting the most up to
date system. Interesting about Kenya having made so much progress, when I
left in '69 nothing had started. I may well have to pay a visit to see a
med size one working.
3. Due to very limited space we can not 'lagoon' the liquid, nor can we get
the dry grass etc to make compost. I will have to find a way to dry it
sufficiently to sell.
Thank you both for your ideas & time, & ask if anyone else has experience
on drying the effluent.