[Digestion] Fwd: microflora from elephant hind gut

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 23:36:43 CDT 2013

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Madhav Gogate <mggogate at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 5:16 PM
Subject: microflora from elephant hind gut
To: adkarve at gmail.com

Respected Dr. Karve,

This has a reference to the talk that you had delivered - energy from agri-
waste or biodegradable material from kitchen waste etc /our tele
conversation this after noon.

Elephant, a non ruminant, feeds mostly on coarse vegetable matter including
even bark. I am given to understand that it is the microflora in the large
hind gut that enables derivation of energy through [methanation
?]processing that takes place there. (There is considerable rumbling in
stomach and that it also helps animals to know whereabouts of each other).

Elephant hind gut microflora could possibly be a key for efficient biogas
making; a micro-biological study of elephant droppings from wild or even
zoo are suggested.

If idea need be pursued will be willing to facilitate collection of
material.

Madhav Gogate  (I.F.S.)

--
***