[Digestion] elephant Dung digestion

Hoysall Chanakya chanakya at astra.iisc.ernet.in
Fri Jun 28 15:32:37 CDT 2013

Dear List Users,
As a person who worked for long on Elephant Dung Digestion I am tempted to
interject.  I guess both parties in the debate are right.  As Krishna
indicates there is a lot of undigested material in elephant dung and this,
that is predominantly leaf fiber is discarded by the elephant in dung.
This fiber is also difficult to digest in conventional biogas plants.  The
undigested biomass often rises to the top and blocks the upward passage of
biogas in the KVIC type biogas plants promoted.

The undigested portions do not mix with water as suggested by the earlier
mail.  This is because the nature of biomass feed fed to the elephants.
Most Indians feed their elephants tree leaves and a much smaller quantity
of grass or other herbaceous feed stocks.  This make the animal dung quite
undigestible.  On the other hand it is difficult to see that many
agro-residues do not digest in nature.

Best regards
To you all
Chanakya