[Digestion] Sulphur levels

Joshua Bogart joshua.bogart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 4 13:18:07 CST 2013

We add Red clay soils which have high Iron levels. I was just thinking
about the differences between a acidic and alkaline soil. But thinking on
it there should be minerals in alkaline soils which react with sulfur. The
systems I worked with were household systems in a rural setting with
limited availability to chemical inputs. I didn't want sulfur in the gas
which reacted with cast iron cookware. By flame observation the addition of
soil with dung lowered the quantity of sulfur in the gas produced.

On Mon, Mar 4, 2013 at 1:05 PM, Arturo Ávalos-Longoria
<afal2906 at gmail.com>wrote:

> OK, Joshua.
> DO you mean add soil with high alkaline levels?
> Regards.
>
> 2013/3/4 Joshua Bogart <joshua.bogart at gmail.com>
>
>> In Honduras when I was getting high sulfurous gas we were able to correct
>> it by including small quantities of local red soil with the dung we were
>> using (pig and cow). Not sure how useful that would be as significant parts
>> of Mexico have alkaline soils.

>> for more information about digestion, see
>> Beginner's Guide to Biogas
>> http://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/
>> and the Biogas Wiki http://biogas.wikispaces.com/
>>

> --