[Digestion] Bio Slurry

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Sun May 5 13:53:38 CDT 2013

Kyle,

We have found that slowly building a local market is a stronger alternative
than thinking about larger transport distances or speciality items.  These
can have a role, but ultimately having the slurry remain at a price that
allows it to replace chemical fertilizers and be used in bulk locally is
your best hope for using the value of the biofertilizer to drive the biogas
market.  In Mexico, that is achieved through slowly increasing
the hectares under cultivation with the "biol" and carefully documenting
the results.

As David Fulford has pointed out, there are nuances to the use of the biol,
and some combinations or dosis, crop and soil types can actually reduce
yields if the is H2S present.  However, we have really good results with
direct application, and our average application rates are about 10k liters
per HA over three or four dosis periods.  We are complimenting early
applications with small amounts of urrea, which is really common in Mexico,
but the overall chemical fertilizer reductions are still about 90%.  Given
that the biol is produced all year round, it is important to take an "all
of the above" approach: compost piles to receive excess biol, adding to
worm castings (we have limited success with adding it to the worms),
storage, and a wide variety of uses from trees to flowers to crops
and forages.

We have started a "Biol Guide" that we have created out of
local experiences   I suggest you start doing the same, documenting results
in both test plots and from the experiences of local farmers.  Always add
the disclaimer that most biols, soils, and crop combinations will be
relatively unique.  This is long term chance we are pushing, and will
require patience, good documentation, promotion, and leadership.

Cheers

Alex

Alexander Eaton
Sistema Biobolsa