[Digestion] Digestion Digest, Vol 33, Issue 9

David Fulford davidf at kingdombio.com
Thu May 16 10:06:54 CDT 2013

Hello listers and Rex,

When  we  were  running  our test biogas plants in
Nepal, many years ago, we were always impressed at
the  lack of flies around the effluent slurry pit.
Anaerobic  digestion  removes  the  volatile fatty
acids that generate the smells that attract flies.
In that project we were using cattle dung, but did
not  store any undigested dung on the site, it all
went  into  the  digester  as quickly as we could
feed it each day.

We  did get frogs in the slurry pit and also water
snakes that ate the frogs.

In  tests  that a colleague did in the UK, we used
fruit   wastes   as   a  feed stock.  The  effluent
attracted  fruit flies, which are not as much as a
pest as bluebottles.

--
Best regards,
 David
  mailto:davidf at kingdombio.com

> Hi there,

> One thing I can tell you is that improperly
> processed bioslurry causes the
> biggest swarm of flies in the known universe!
> We live next to two dairies
> and they do not process their slurry
> adequately. Consequently, when they
> apply it to the fields, we have flies for the
> next two weeks. I suspect this
> is a pest of a different sort to that implied in the thread.

> Rex Zietsman
> Principal Consultant
> Mobile:   +27 82 457 7311
> Fax:         +27 86 726 7028
> Email:     rex at whitfieldfarm.co.za
> Website: www.whitfieldconsult.co.za

Dr David Fulford CEnv MEI, 15, Brandon Ave, Woodley, Reading RG5 4PU
d.j.fulford at btinternet.com, Tel: +44(0)118 326 9779 Mob: +44(0)7746 806401
Kingdom Bioenergy Ltd, www.kingdombio.com, davidf at kindombio.com
                                 Skype Identity: djfulford