[Digestion] Use of centrifugal pump for transferring feedstock into digester

David david at h4c.org
Mon Nov 18 19:35:03 CST 2013

Doe, David, Dr. Karve,

On 11/16/2013 6:22 PM, Joe Crescenzi wrote:
> Centrifugal pump works fine for us here on a 1000 M³ digester.
> Maintain the pump below the level of the holding tank to minimize
> air entry. We do incorporate about 35% liquid digestate from the
> digester into the new incoming slurry - before the pump.

> From: adkarve at gmail.com
>
> Dear Dr. Fulford,
> thanks a lot for the explanation and the solution.
> Yours
> A.D.Karve
>
> On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM, David <davidf at kingdombio.com
> <mailto:davidf at kingdombio.com>> wrote:
>
>     Dr Karve and listers, Hello,
>     Tests I tried in a laboratory which involved pumping material
>     into a digester suggested that flow velocity is important.

I have a hard time imagining that the type of pump used would have any
impact on the situation. Logic would tend to make me skeptical.
Consider that some (not all) studies of agitation have shown that
violent or continuous agitation is not beneficial, but for any
microbes passing through a pump, that is a momentary and probably
minor discomfort at worst. Indeed, even if a pump or some other
process is completely /sterilizing/ the incoming slurry-- killing
everything, as is occasionally done with garbage or another biohazard
substrate-- then regardless, if what is being fed is digestible, it
will all be colonized and mostly digested during the period of any
sensible HRT. Further, surely if centrifugal pumps, which have been
used for years on digesters, had some negative effect on digestion,
then this would have been noticed and exampled in the literature. I
don't know of any such references, whereas if the effect were as
dramatic as these reports suggest, I would think this would be a
widely known caveat.

Thus whatever the situation is with the three digesters mentioned by
Dr. Karve, I tend to doubt that it has anything to do with the pump,
regardless that this is a shared characteristic. They may, after all,
each have entirely different causes for their problems.

Of course, at best that's merely exclusionary, ruling out one
candidate for cause, and it does not solve Dr. Karve's mystery, nor
does it address the experience of Dr. Fulford.

d.
--
David William House
"The Complete Biogas Handbook" |www.completebiogas.com|

"Make no search for water.   But find thirst,
And water from the very ground will burst."
(Rumi, a Persian mystic poet, quoted in /Delight of Hearts/, p. 77)

http://bahai.us/