[Digestion] Just starting

Frans Somebody franshenn238 at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 01:21:48 CST 2013

Hi All.
Although I have read a lot, I have no practical experience & would
appreciate any ideas & suggestions.
I have 37 000 laying hens but very limited access to cow dung.
The reasons for starting digestion is, in order of priority;
a) Fly control. Too many chemicals being used,  which is not working anyway.
b) Manure disposal.The dairy farmer who has taken it for 11 years is
changing to sugar cane.
c) Gas production. To assist in the drying of the slurry, for storage &
sale.
As a start & a test, I have ordered a heavy re-enforced plastic tube of
approx 1.8m round X 10m long.
Mh chalenges are;-
1) I can find no information on pure chicken droppings. Can this be used?
2) If I have to 'kick-start' the bacteria with cow dung, will it be
necessary to re-do this at regular intervals?
3) The most effectice system? Fixed dome, floating dome, tubes or?
4) The recommended temp is 37 to 42C, others have suggested that much
higher temp, (50), produce more gas.
5) The advantage of higher temp could be a reduction in unwanted bacteria &
seeds in the effluent.
Thank you for allowing me on your forum.
Frans (Swaziland)