[Digestion] Biogas for milk cooling centres in Central Uganda

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Tue Oct 8 09:12:40 CDT 2013

Hi Samantha,

We have hundreds of small and medium dairies displacing energy needs with
Sistema Biobolsa (sistemabiobolsa.com) in Mexico and other points in LAC,
and now with some pilots in Africa.  While we have used larger diesel-based
biogas motors, we more recently have been converting small gasoline engines
to biogas, and they in effect work as a duel fuel, allowing you to use
gasoline if there is a limited supply of biogas.  While we install motors
in 20kW range, using smaller gasoline motors puts the technology within an
extremely accessible price range, and makes the investment modular and
scalable.

For example, you could add our 40 or 60 m3 digester with a 12 kW to run one
of the refrigeration units, and then later add the second system.  In that
way farmers are able to make the investment over time.  The following
videos are in spanish, but give a good idea:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlE2P-V7SyQ ,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8ljAgrUIK4

Stephen, regarding gas refrigerators, we have adapted a few from LPG, but
have not been able to get a configuration or efficiency that can compete
with the electrical milker chillers.  Do you have a suggested model?
 Ultimately, I agree that thermal cycles are a really efficient way for
dairies to use biogas.

One challenge with motors in dairies in that the equipment (vacuum pumps
and compression pumps) have a very different peak demand and running
demand.  This requires farmers to oversize electrical capacity to deal with
the peaks, when they could really use equipment nearly 3X smaller.  I posed
this question to the group before, and still have not found a cost
effective solution.

Cheers

On Tue, Oct 8, 2013 at 6:54 AM, Jean-luc Sallustro <
jean-luc.sallustro at eventure-international.com> wrote:

>  Hi Samantha,
>
> We can propose our 5t/j to 40 t/J plug flow AD
> Regrads
>
> Jean-Luc Sallustro Managing Partner
> e.venture Group
> Bénarès, Rivière des Anguilles
> Ile Maurice
> Tel (230) 54 44 40 00
> LD (230) 54 44 40 01 Mob (230) 57 29 16 26 Fax (230) 626 23 54
>
> Le 08/10/2013 15:34, Samantha Carter a écrit :
>
> Vianney, thank you I will contact both of those companies.
>
> Stephen, the refrigeration units are already installed and running well - we are trying to replace as little of the original infrastructure as possible in order to keep capital costs of the project down.
>
> Samantha

> Beginner's Guide to Biogashttp://www.adelaide.edu.au/biogas/

Alexander Eaton
Sistema Biobolsa