[Digestion] Biogas from Begonia, Chrysanthemum and Poinsettia

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Mon Aug 18 21:24:40 CDT 2014

Dear Vianney,
the woody part of the waste which also includes the veins and midribs
of leaves, will remain as undigested residue in your biogas plant. You
would have to cut the biomass finely with the help of a device called
chaff cutter, which is used for shredding fodder before feeding it to
cattle. This device works very well for shredding plants before
feeding them into a biogas plant. Secondly, the digester must be
provided with a large drain valve near its base, with the help of
which you would remove the undigested debris from the digester.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 11:44 PM, Vianney Tumwesige
<trustvianney at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I recently visited a floriculture farm which produces about ten different
> crops on the farm, however, there are three main crops i.e.poinsettia,
> begonia and chrysanthemum.
>
> These 3 crops generate about 2 tons of waste per week, though other crops
> have a small waste content. I have attached pictures of the generated waste.
> The idea is to produce biogas from this waste. I have not dealt with
> floriculture waste, I will be glad to get your advise.
>
> Thanks
>

> --
> Vianney Tumwesige
> PhD student
> University of Aberdeen
> School of Biological Sciences
> Aberdeen office:
> 23 St. Machar Drive,
> Aberdeen,
> Tel: +44 1224 273 810
>
> Green Heat (U) Ltd
> P.O. Box 10235
> Kampala-Uganda
> 256 (0) 71 237 9889
> www.greenheatinternational.com
>
> "The more people are self sufficient in cooking fuel, the more personal and
> financial freedom they have." - Emma Casson

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)