[Digestion] Regarding information request on "Plastic Bag Digesters"

Alexander Eaton alex at sistemabiobolsa.com
Mon Jan 27 13:58:53 CST 2014

Hi All,

I wanted to also provide a link for the next step from plastic bag
digesters, which we have used in over 1000 installs in 8 countries, mostly
in LAC region.  Sistema Biobolsa (sistemabiobolsa.com) was developed 7
years ago as a solution to the biggest weakness of the plastic bag
digester: durability.   They use advanced membranes that have a long life,
high UV resistance, and are much easier to install and use.  While the
upfront cost is a bit higher, we have shown that installing a more durable
digester provides a far better life cycle cost over 10 years than a
cheaper, less durable offer.

There are a lot of resources on the website, and a recent article about our
work in Haiti:
https://www.devex.com/en/news/in-haiti-more-than-a-win-win-toilet-solution/82351?source=MostPopularNews_3

While a plastic bag digester may work for individuals, the lack of
reliability does not fit well with programmatic development.  Our
non-profit (www.irrimexico.org) offers full programs that include the
funding, implementation and monitoring methodology using the improved
technology.  We have found that improving the technical reliability allows
programs to focus on the truly important aspects of training, project
follow-up, and service.  Those aspects are marginalized when the program
has to focus on repairing or replacing bags.

I will concede ahead of future debate, that the low cost system has
benefits in poor contexts, and everyone has an anecdote or two about a
plastic system lasting 10 years!

Best,

Alex

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 2:31 PM, Michael Theroux <mtheroux at jdmt.net> wrote:

> Hi all: sources of information for development of “plastic bag digesters”
> -
>

> (1)   Search for “Poly-Bag Digesters” -  this will take you to
> development of the concept and a manual on building the units.
>
> (2)   See Ecofys’ site:
> http://www.ecofys.com/en/project/ecofys-plastic-bag-digester/
>
> (3)   See: http://www.completebiogas.com/B_Plastic.html
>
> (4)   Good run-down at: