[Digestion] Meso and Thermophilic Operating Temperature

harrisfm at aapt.net.au harrisfm at aapt.net.au
Wed Jun 11 02:05:27 CDT 2014

G'day Bram et al,
I am Paul Harris, Hooroo is an Australian form of Goodbye (but you are
not the first to cal me Hooroo!).
Yield is how many litres/grams of methane you get per kg of waste and
rate is liters per kg per day. If you are specifying yield you really
need to give the conditions (batch/continuous, temperature, length of
test ) so different yield figures can be properly compared.
If you simply extend the Retention Time (keeping Temperature and
the digester longer. Similarly if you keep everything except
Temperature constant and increase Temperature the Yield will go up
since the Rate is increased.
What you need to realise is that at higher temperatures the yield will
actually decrease if you cut back the Retention Time too much and that
the same yield (or even higher!) can be obtained at lower temperatures
when the Retention time is extended (and longer Retention time is
likely to give more robust operation, since any changes or
contamination will be a smaller percentage of the total volume).
Hope this helps,Happy digesting,
HOOROOPaul Harris