[Digestion] Grass clipping digester start up.

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Jun 29 09:28:13 CDT 2014

Dear Wayne,
green grass should theoretically produce about 100g biogas per 1kg
grass. However, you would need an inoculum, either in the form of
slurry from an existing biogas plant or fecal matter of any animal
(even human). If there exists a shelter for domestic pets, a dog pound
or a zoo in your town, try to get the animal fecal matter from there.
In case you have a pond near your house, you can use the mud from the
bottom of the pond. In developing countries, where milk is sold
without any processing, even unboiled spoilt milk works, because it is
generally contaminated with the dung bacteria.
Yours
A.D.Karve

On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 7:16 PM, Wayne Zschech
<waynezschech at calvarychapel.com> wrote:
> G'day all!
>
> About ten years ago I made a 100 litre test digester that I fed grass
> clippings.  I can't recall starting it up with any manure at all. I also
> don't remember feed rates etc.. ...the whole process was pretty
> unscientific. It did produce a combustible gas however.
>
> Now we are looking at a starting a larger unit that runs on grass clippings
> and eventually food waste. We don't have access to manure.  Can someone give
> me pointers on how to get things going? The new unit will be several cubic
> metres. I'd prefer to avoid creating a smelly messy failure if at all
> possible.  Your input would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Blessings,
> Wayne

***
Dr. A.D. Karve
Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)