[Digestion] Lessons Learned from the dissemination of Biodigesters for Sanitation in haiti, form 2010 to 2013.

Jaime Marti Herrero tallerbiogas at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 10 12:44:48 CST 2015

hi Dr Karve
 you said "Therefore, making biogas from feces of animals is not a very efficient way of getting biogas" and i am agree with you. but many digesters are installed in places where there are only manure able to fed the digester. manure that if is not properly handle will be pollutant. So, manure can be used for composting, anaerobic digestion or vermiculture (and some cases gasification), and one could combine these differnt techniques.  biogas is not only the main focus, also to produce bioslurry as fertilizer and use the digester as waste treatment system. this is the concept of productive biogas (more information here: http://www.snvworld.org/download/publications/snv_fact_productive_biogas_2014_final.pdf)about the value of the bioslurry as fertilizer you can find more information here publihed in 2014: From FAO: http://www.fao.org/3/a-i3441e.pdfFrom Hivos: https://www.hivos.org/sites/default/files/bioslurry_book.pdfFrom SNV: http://www.snvworld.org/en/download/publications/alterra_report_2519_bioslurry.pdf
So we are not only focused in biogas.  I think, that this is a weak vision of the anaerobic digestion. nutrient recycling should be as important as biogas production. So perhaps manure is not as efficient as other sunstrates for biogas protucion, but is also a waste that we can use.
about the efficiency of digesters, as commented in previous mails, the highest efficiency is found in the mobile digester that are the animal. So one idea could be that crude waste chould go first to a animal stomach (pigs, cow, chiken, worms...) and introduce their waste in a sencod artificil digester as a second treatment system.
But at the end, exist several situations that make posible a variety of strategies, from anaerobic digestion in urban areas, where no animals are found to eat the crude organic waste, or digesters fed with manure (from animal that have been fed with crude waste or crops) in rural areas, or combination of both, or other ideas/technologies. Finally one adapts the technology to the situation and substrates.
So making biogas from feces of animals is a very efficient way of getting biogas when no other substare is able. and not only biogas, also bioslurry and waste treatment sorry about my english
keep in touchjaime-----

Jaime Martí Herrero, PhD. INER (www.iner.gob.ec). BiomasaCIMNE (www.cimne.com). Building
Energy and Environment Group

Quito · Ecuador. Tel. (+593)-09 857 03726
BIOGAS and Latin America

-RedBioLAC:http://redbiolac.org/

-Taller Biogas Bolivia:http://tallerbiogas.blogspot.com
-Biodigestores familiares: Guía de diseño y manual de
instalación: http://grecdh.upc.edu/publicacions/llibres/documents/2008_jmh_guia_biodigestores.pdf-Desarrollo, difusión e implementación de tecnologías apropiadas:Biodigestores en Bolivia: http://grecdh.upc.edu/publicacions/llibres/documents/2014_Biodigestores-Lecciones-Bolivia.pdf