[Digestion] Lessons Learned from the dissemination of Biodigesters for Sanitation in Haiti, form 2010 to 2013.

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 01:12:42 CST 2015

Dear Marc,
the slurry from a biogas plant can certainly serve as a source of
minerals to the plants, but please remember that dung is a residue
from which most of the minerals and digestible matter has already been
removed. Therefore one must weigh the economics of using cattle dung
either as a source of biogas or as manure, versus its economic value
as cooking fuel. A family needs daily about 40 kg dung to generate
enough biogas to cook two meals in a day, whereas two meals can be
cooked with about 4 kg dung cakes. In the city where I live, dung
cakes made from 40 kg dung sell for almost one US$. Therefore selling
dung cakes as fuel is more remunerative than using dung for any other
purpose. I have no experience with fecal matter of pigs either as
feedstock for biogas or as fuel for direct combustion, so I cannot
express any opinion on the example cited by you. I can however make
one comment,  that using biogas for cooking makes more economic sense
than generating electricity from it. But it all depends on the
opportunities available. If one produces biogas at a location, where
one cannot use it for cooking, then one has to find an alternative use
for it.
Yours
A.D.Karve
***
Dr. A.D. Karve

Chairman, Samuchit Enviro Tech Pvt Ltd (www.samuchit.com)

Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)