[Digestion] AD of Water Hyacinth

Rex Zietsman rex at whitfieldfarm.co.za
Thu Oct 8 03:30:23 CDT 2015

Hi Alex and other Listers

I have an article on the digestion of hyacinth that I downloaded years ago.
Anyone interested in it, please email me and I will send you a copy.

Kind regards
Rex

Rex Zietsman
Principal Consultant
Pr Eng, BSc Eng (chem), MBA
Mobile:    +27 82 457 7311
Fax:           +27 86 726 7028
Email:       rex at whitfieldfarm.co.za
Website: http://rex370.wix.com/whitfieldconsult

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 20:17:39 -0500
From: Alex Eaton <alex at sistemabiobolsa.com>
To: For Discussion of Anaerobic Digestion
	<digestion at lists.bioenergylists.org>
Subject: Re: [Digestion] Water hyacinth

Dear Dr. Karve,

Could you share any loading rates or retention times related to water
hyacinth?

Also, currently the coast of Mexico is in the middle of a massive seaweed
bloom,  and it is clogging up all the beaches and ports of the coast.  Has
anyone ever worked with a sea weed? Obviously it would a high salt content,
and I suspect some undigestable portions, but maybe the energy production
could break even with efforts to clean up the area. Any thoughts or
experiences?

Best,

Alex

On Oct 6, 2015 8:11 PM, "Anand Karve" <adkarve at gmail.com> wrote:

> Water bodies in several tropical countries (including India) are
> invaded by a floating aquatic weed called water hyacinth. In many
> cases it covers the entire water surface. Its leaves enhance the
> evaporative surface of the water body and thus cause rapid depletion
> of water. In most countries it is considered a menace, but  it can
> very easily be converted into biogas. All one needs is a biphasic
> digester. in which the first phase converts the material into organic
> acids, which then flow into the second phase, which is the actual
> biogas digester.  Water hyacinth should therefore be considered to be a
useful source of clean energy and not a menace.