[Digestion] Test Message

tmiles at trmiles.com tmiles at trmiles.com
Sat Nov 6 16:57:34 CDT 2021

Thanks! A lot has happened in anaerobic digestion since the list was last active last Spring.

1.	RNG. While we only have a small number of commercial digesters in the US compared with Europe there is a lot of excitement about Renewable Natural Gas, especially from the American Biogas Council. They report that there are 161 digesters that are now selling RNG and that there is a potential for something like 2000. The contracts for RNG appear attractive but it is not yet clear what the net benefit is to the owner after complex transaction fees are subtracted.  https://americanbiogascouncil.org/

2.	Food wastes are another emerging feedstock for AD in the US, almost as a pre-treatment for composting the digestate.

3.	Research has demonstrated the value of adding biochar to AD feedstock with a variety of benefits but we don’t see commercial use of biochar yet in AD either as a digester additive or as an additive to digestate prior to composting.

Tom