[Digestion] Test Message

spe at biotrix.asia spe at biotrix.asia
Mon Nov 8 03:18:59 CST 2021

Message well received in Thailand……

Biogas has been largely dormant here over the last few years. We had an exciting new Feed In Tarrif Scheme (up to 15 USc/kWh) but no permission to export to grid, so not way of accessing it! Gone are the days of mitigating methane emissions from Starch and Palm Oil Factories, although we know of at least 10-15 projects just waiting to go (3-5MWe each), if only they could get the current electricity purchase price (about USc9.5/kWh) . We have been told we can go to grid at the current coal purchase price USc7/kWh, but of course that does not include the cost of damage coal does to the environment as a pollutant, or as a non renewable carbon source. On that basis biogas would be king – as it should be with a win/win/win outcome.

Whether the focus on Carbon at COP will make any difference no one knows. I was at the last COP here in Bangkok but as usual there little progress then either.

We have, however, just come to the end of a 2 year competition to let about 25 Napier Grass Biogas Plants (3MWe each) which would get government licences to export electricity to grid. It also involved a bidding process which ended up around USc10.5/kWh on average. 118 companies applied but only about 60 or so qualified. After bidding, only 4 companies were awarded projects with 1 company (owned by the ex Deputy National Police Chief) getting 18 of the projects. The companies also have to pay THB300 (US$9) per tonne of grass to the farmer who also participate as equity owners up to 10% (without purchasing it). Its difficult to see how this is going to work at such a low IRR.

Good Luck

Stephen Etheridge

Biotrix Asia