[Gasification] A formula for calculation of steam as fluidized media for BFB gasifier

L. He sunyears at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 2 15:29:04 CST 2010

Hi Farokh,

i think it's somehow similar to the calculation of equivalence ratio (ER), in which the gas products of complete combustion are assumed to be only CO2 and H2O.

In the case of steam gasification, the gas products of 'complete gasification' are assumed to be H2 and CO. The proximate and ultimate analysis of biomass provide the formula of biomass in the form of CxHyOz. By balancing CxHyOz + H2O -- CO + H2, you will find out the theorectical amount of H2O necessary for the steam gasification. For normal wood (with H2O wt.% < 10%) , it's around 0.27 while for Jatropha 0.6. In practical application, excess amount of steam will be supplied to the system due to the low reaction rate and therefore incomplete conversion. That's why the range of 0.2 to 1 is pretty often used in the experiments. When calculating the steam input, the water content in the fuel itself should be considered, which means less steam is needed for wet fuel.

Best Regards,
Ling He