[Gasification] Fluidyne Update.

doug.williams Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Mon Dec 20 03:33:20 CST 2010

Hi Gasification Colleagues,

My promised separate Fluidyne Update to this forum is late coming together, but you can see a new Progress Report on the Fluidyne Archive www.fluidynenz.250x.com of the Mk8/9 Andes Class development project being done in California. Having been home just 11 days from this last test programme for 2010, I feel a bit flat, and quite frankly, gasified out.

It's so pleasing to see the really interesting and diverse views being presented this week on the Gasification List about exhaust heat and it's moisture. I certainly see some of this stuff more than most, but don't have the luxury of wondering about what it is or isn't, only if it is a clean emission within standards. In this context, you may find one of the photos of the Tecogen CHP engine of interest. It show the exhaust poring out steam in the first part of it's start-up sequence. It's so cold after the catalytic heat exchanger, they use a silicon rubber hose to make the muffler connection. The steam fades as the engine comes up to operational speed and output, but is running on LPG in this photo.

Unfortunately, we were not able to do the gas conversion over to producer gas, but did manage to run it long enough to establish that it was delivering the derated 41 kWe on producer gas.  Normally on LPG, it delivers just over 70 kWe, so we were happy to see the derating confirmed. I should mention, that the derating and confirmed output was straight out of the Fluidyne Engine Tables, so if you chose to use them, know they are about as accurate as you can find for aspirated engine performance.

For 2010, our work on site had the benefit of a gas analyser to provide a record for our research into how the packed carbon bed evolves from wood/charcoal/gas, and in the process, push the bed beyond historical practice. It puts new meaning into stuffing a forest through a funnel!  We did 72 recorded runs, with strip down, bed analysis, photos parameter change or modification, in the mornings, then reassembled and test run in the afternoons. Operating data was then sent to me for comment in preparation for the next days internal inspection, and we repeated it all over again and again. Tough on the guys on site, but my hands didn't even get dirty thanks to SKYPE.

Have a look at the Archive report in the mean time, and I will get back to you as time allows.

Trust this is of some interest.

Doug Williams,
Fluidyne Gasification.