[Gasification] Syngas on Wiki_

jim mason jim at allpowerlabs.org
Wed Dec 29 17:08:24 CST 2010

On Tue, Dec 28, 2010 at 3:58 PM, Tom Miles <tmiles at trmiles.com> wrote:
> For several years I have been in the habit of distinguishing between
> "syngas" (for chemical synthesis)  and "producer gas" (for air blown wood
> gas) but as Tom Reed points out the definitions have become blurred. Both
> are used interchangeably and often incorrectly in common usage. We are now
> pretty much stuck with them.
>
> For most people "syngas" has more appeal regardless of its definition.
>
> Tom Miles

these are two important summaries, as the tom's have been involved
with this tech in the english speaking world longer and more broadly
than any of us.

both seem to be noting the traditional distinction and usage that we
all know for the "syngas" and "producer gas" terms.  both then comment
on their current drift in meaning.  both seem to note this current
drift with some regret.   tom m notes the attractiveness of "syngas"
to contemporary ears, and that we seem stuck with it.  is this a fair
summary toms?  if so, i agree with the sentiments, though don't really
share the regret part.

sadly, we cannot solve the real problems of biomass thermal conversion
with this debate.  but what i hope we can solve is to acknowledge the
current and substantial movement in the meaning of the "syngas" term,
and to consider the possibility this may be a good thing for the
general endeavor.

or at least agree to not yell apostate to the faith! every time
someone decides to participate in this ongoing semantic shift.

jim