[Gasification] Gasification Digest, Vol 8, Issue 6

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Fri Apr 15 22:36:51 CDT 2011

Dear Rolf,
Almost all villages in India have grain grinding mills, to which
people bring their grain for grinding. The flour, flying around in the
milling area settles on the ground and in the evening it is swept
together. Because it represents a mixture of sorghum, penisetum,
wheat, maize, rice, finger millet, some of the legumes, and also dirt,
it is sold by the miller at a very low rate. This flour is generally
used as animal feed by owners of animals. We buy such flour and boil
it in water to make a sticky paste. It is mixed with the char as
binder.
The tars from a gasifier contain a group of chemicals called
pyroligneous acids, which can be degraded by soil micro-organisms. So,
they should serve as food for the soil microbes.I do not know what
happens to the rest of the tar in the soil.
Yours
A.D.Karve