[Gasification] effect of steam on tar and soot production during pyrolysis?

jim mason jim at allpowerlabs.org
Sun Aug 7 21:05:15 CDT 2011

on the road to reducing problems in the reactor so there are less
issues to deal with in filtering, here's a new question.

does anyone know where to look for experimental results on the impacts
of increased steam in pyrolysis environments?   my hunch is that
increased steam will lessen the production of PAHs and general double
carbon bonded refractory tars.  we know we can do this by reducing
pyrolysis temp and slowing the ramp rate, but will steam also help
with this?

the literature shows a marked decrease in soot production in
combustion environments where there is high steam.  steam apparently
interrupts the agglomeration on the PAH nucleus.  thus to the degree
we can maintain adequate temps, steam is helping us with soot
reduction.

but what about during pyrolysis?  does it reduce PAH production?  do
it have other marked effects on the type of tars make?  in general,
are there wins to be had with steam in pyrolysis that make things
meaningfully easier to deal with downstream?

i'm about at the end of what i can do on temp control during
pyrolysis.  i'm hoping there is another route to engage to continue
improving the outputs of the pyrolysis stage.