[Gasification] rope seals for really sealing?

Rolf Uhle energiesnaturals at gmx.de
Sat Aug 27 08:06:31 CDT 2011

much depends on the kind of seal which is required.
Flat sealing normally applies little pressure on the gasket.
If it doesn't have tobe opened very often, many bolts distributed around the
perimeter get better perssure on the gasket and help to prevent warping of the
flange.
A seal in a grove with an "edge" nearly filling the grove is much better than
a flat seal with a rope.
If you can improve the surfaces "truth" , a copper/grapite gasket as in an
exhaust manifold is quite o.k. Needs several bolts of course.

If the opening is round and not too large and has to be serviced frequently,
bayonet nuts or loose threaded nuts + gasket are fine.

Rolf