[Gasification] P-Gas Speculation

Thomas Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Sat Dec 10 10:35:39 CST 2011

Tom Miles

To the best of my knowledge no one has analysed P-gas.  If anyone has the ability to do this, I'm sure we would all be in their debt.  If not, maybe "I'll  do it myself" (said the little red hen).

In the absence of hard data, we are free to speculate.  Taking CH2O as a sufficient proxy for cellulose, wouldn't it be nice if

     CH2O + heat ==> CO + H2

Unfortunately, using my magic numbers, this is endothermic to the tune of

(280 + 280) - (420+ 240- 180 = 480) = 80 kJ/ mole, because CO and H2 are so hyperenthalpic.

So a more likely equation could be

     CH2O + 0.4(O2 + 3.76 N2) ==> 0.4 CO2 + 0.6 CO + H2

448-480 = -32 kJ/ mole,  more than sufficiently exothermic to yield a reaction temperature of 500-800 C,  and an A/F ratio of 1.9.  I have measured the A/F ratio in a glass gasifier down too almost 1.0,  where the gas would be much richer.

I'm planning a blog to contain some of these notes.

Patience.

Tom Reed, (I could add "Dr. P-gas, but I'm too modest)

Dr Thomas B Reed
The Biomass Energy Foundation
www.Woodgas.com