[Gasification] W-Gas and P-Gas defined - and redefined

Luke Iseman luke at re-char.com
Thu Dec 15 10:03:38 CST 2011

Hi Jim,

I'd be happy to give your BEK a good home, and I can pick it up in SFO
mid-January. We've got some interesting ideas about how to automate
tuning during char production, similar to what you've done with the
GCU.

-Luke

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Tom Miles <tmiles at trmiles.com> wrote:
> Useful predictions: gas and char quality
>

> I think the chars have been described as similar to the oxidative chars from
> downdraft gasifiers. Is there any consistency with regard to the extent of
> carbonization (% fixed carbon) or other physical or chemical qualities of
> TLUDD chars compared with the downdraft chars? Are there any distinctive
> qualities of TLUD chars from agronomic trials? What do soils and plants
> like/dislike about TLUD chars? Do they have more affinity to chemicals than
> other chars?

tom, these questions were the motivation for why i made the BEK.  it
was intended to create a testbed for running all these different modes
over the same "reaction vessel volume".  i wanted to see if our
conversation on char types could add in the variables of pyrolysis
process mode, as well as gas take off direction (over made char vs
away from made char) to our usual conversation on top temp, ramp rate
and residence time.

while we made the machine to run these tests, we have yet to find the
time to do the research.  we've had to set this work aside to focus on
our core endeavor of figuring out how to manufacture and support
gasifiers.  this has proven to be harder than email.

i think it would be fairly straight forward to answer these questions,
and get some basic understanding of pyrolysis mode impact on char
types, as well as gas composition.  we just need someone to sign up to
do the work.  we have a BEK sitting at our shop for whoever wants to
come and do the work.   we'll even send it elsewhere to do the work
elsewhere if someone proves they are serious about the research
project.  tom reed, you want another machine in MA?

the project will require some technical skill and familiarity with
instrumentation.  the BEK is also fussy to run and requires all 8 of
your hands to keep it between the lines.  this is not an ease
optimized production machine, but rather a research tool with an
excess of knobs and levers.

i'd really like to get through these basic characterizations of
pyrolysis mode so we can get rid of all the knobs and levers and just
run the modes we know are of interest.