[Gasification] Gasification Digest, Vol 16, Issue 12 - char contents and nutrients

David Coote dccoote at mira.net
Sun Dec 18 16:17:00 CST 2011

It's an interesting issue. Factors influencing the capability for
biochar to assist with soil fertility appear to include what the char is
made from and the process that has been used to make the char. Making it
from chicken manure will tend to produce a char that has different
initial nutritional characteristics compared to making it from wood.
Different pyrolysis techniques will produce chars with different
structures and different quantities and types of volatiles. Some of
these volatiles appear to be nutritionally useful. Others may not be
useful and may even be harmful. There's quite a bit of work underway in
this area. (There's still how to get it in the ground economically in
no-till broadacre farming environments but that's another story.)

I found a study a while ago of sites in the northern Pennsylvania region
- which may be the one Mark refers to below - that found substantial
remaining contamination many decades after silvichemical plants closed.
These plants typically used pyrolysis and chemical extraction techniques
to obtain valuable chemicals. I haven't dug into whether the particular
techniques used led to PAC's the bugs find difficult to digest, or
solvents used have sterilised the area, or if the sheer volume of wastes
have overwhelmed the bioremediation capacity.  Certainly forests spring
back from the witches brew of chemicals made in a wildfire

Cheers

David