[Gasification] TLUD BEST

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Mon Dec 19 11:57:03 CST 2011

Dear Tom
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Thomas Reed
  To: Discussion of biomass pyrolysis and gasification
  Sent: Monday, December 19, 2011 1:29 PM
  Subject: Re: [Gasification] TLUD BEST

  Tom

  When wood reaches 300C, an exothermic reaction takes over, and it goes spontaneously to 400-450 making a charcoal with little absorbtive capacity.  The conventional updraft turf covered woodpile makes this type of charcoal.

  # Given that the biochar used to make Terra Preta was most likely made in the primitive manner, is there any reason to believe that such charcoal would be bad for use as biochar?

  Thanks!!

  Kevin Chisholm

  TLUD charcoal making requires a temperature > 500C to sustain the PYROLYTIC fire, so makes a charcoal with modest absorb tin capacity.  I am anxious to try the blanket or turf covered Pyromid in both TLUD and conventional mode and compare the charcoal properties.

  I hope Hugh and Frank will weigh in on this discussion.

  Tom Reed

  Dr Thomas B Reed
  The Biomass Energy Foundation
  www.Woodgas.com