[Gasification] Gasification of briquettes

doug.williams Doug.Williams at orcon.net.nz
Sat Feb 12 22:23:34 CST 2011

John,Jim, and Colleagues,

john, this is a hard problem, but there are some partial fixes that
might get things to tolerable.  it can likely be solved without a 50k
extruder or giving up.

Jim offers some interesting possibilities, and quite tempting if no explanation was forthcoming. I have explained the cause, and the briquette still has to turn to carbon, no matter how you get the briquette to the carbonizing temperatures which expands the individual compressed fines. Binders would help if you have buckets of tar to get rid off, but this is not the case in John situation, explained to me in a separate earlier communication, that I missed in my early scan of my in-box.

For those wanting to explore thermal bonded briquetting of the type that improves their chances for gasification, refer to this forum archive:    http://www.bioenergylists.org/en/retasiabriquette  They are very DIY, and would be cheap to any healthy scavenger of recycled materials.

Jims final question:

what happened to the high resin block fuels?

His user changed over to compresses combustion fuel briquettes.manufacture.

High resin block fuels as you refer to them, can cover most species of conifers (pines), although some seem to have more resin when cut green. If the gasifier is designed for these soft woods,  which require smaller dimensions, everything passing through the bed carbonizes. The larger dimensioned hardwood block gasifiers cannot handle conifer blocks, and is why many in Europe get into tar problems, using WW2 design parameters, but not sticking to the regulated fuel specifications of that era.

isn't gasification fun?

I can only concur that when you stop learning, you also stop breathing.(:-)

Hope this provides more understanding.
Doug Williams,
Fluidyne.