[Gasification] Gasification of briquettes

Robert Kana sinan at biomassindo.com
Sat Feb 12 23:25:18 CST 2011

Hi John,
Are these briquettes ram types or screw types? What are the sizes of the
briquettes? Both had some kind of heat on the process and it is like a
pressed sponge. Matter of time they will loose their  higher density
with taken moisture. We have done successful gasification with screw
types briquettes as long as they are used in same day ( or 2) as
produced. If they are freshly made, they will not deform and become dust
or pieces in hopper because of the heat or steam. Moisture level of
screw types briquettes are less than 6%, they need to be more than 15 %
to start creating problems in the gasifier, same as wood chunks.
Try this, take a briquette and put some water on it, see how long it
will take to become to it's original form! What I have learned so far
from my mentors, successful gasification starts with good preparation
(and storage) of the material to be gasified.
I suggest you try keep the briquettes in an air tight and dry place (as
much as possible) as storage. Best way is to keep them in sealed bags.
This should solve your problems.
Commercial briquette plants has no additives or bonding agents.
Keep them dry... As we all know moist biomass can not be gasified...
Cheers,
Robert