[Gasification] Ceramic Filter Candles

Kevin kchisholm at ca.inter.net
Wed Feb 16 20:49:55 CST 2011

Dear Ben

The best way to solve a problem is to eliminate it in the first place. :-)

Given that you have defined that you have a tar free, cool, and dehumidified gas, what do you need a filter for in the first place??? Most likely, such a process would have removed all particulates also.  Cotton cloth on a wire frame would make an adequate safety filter.

Ceramic filters are great for water, and are probably sized to remove particulates down to the 1-10 micron range. A 5 PSIG pressure drop in a water system filter is insignificant. However, 5 PSIG vacuum for a blower/suction system to move gas through such a filter would require a head of about 11.5' of water gage, or say 138 Inches of water gage pressure differential. That is hugely significant. If for no other reason than pressure drop, you would not wish to consider a ceramic filter.

Best wishes,

Kevin