[Gasification] Job Opening: Electronics and electrical production engineering & manufacturing

jim mason jim at allpowerlabs.org
Fri Feb 18 18:42:39 CST 2011

Must be in San Francisco Bay Area.   OK to forward to others who might
be interested.

ALL Power Labs / GEK Gasifier is looking for a contract engineer to
bring process control electronics and related wiring to a
ready-to-manufacture state. These electronics relate to a sensing and
automation system for a small-scale biomass gasification alt energy
generator. More information on the product is here:
http://www.gekgasifier.com/gasification-store/gasifier-genset-skids/

This contract ideally starts next week, the week of 2/21/11. It is
likely a month gig. Pay is negotiable and related to your abilities.

Here's the details:

We long ago optimized the micro processor board, as well as the
enclosure which houses all the associated power components and wire
landing. See here:
http://wiki.gekgasifier.com/w/page/6123727/Gasifier-Control-Unit .
We're now facing a large wiring harness and wire connection problem.
Making all this by hand in house is no longer possible. We can't make
them fast enough or with adequate efficiency. We need the wiring
harness design to be optimized for manufacturability and out-of-house
production initiated quickly.

This is not a raw electrical engineering or prototyping job. It is not
DIY hacking to make a one off work. What is needed is someone with
expertise and experience in electronics/electrical manufacturing to
optimize the design, finalize the bill of materials, and coordinate
the initial out-of-house production run. This will surely involve some
new engineering work once we see the optimized path of manufacture,
but please do not agree to do this if you do not also have experience
in sourcing and operations.

The ideal candidate will have some experience in the automotive
industry working with OBD control systems and related wiring
harnesses. Experience with ruggedizing electronics is core. Other
types of design for manufacturing experience in electronics could be
equally relevant. Familiarity with CANbus architectures a plus too.

You need to be able to self-organize and manage the process. We need
an owner for this problem, one that doesn't require another dedicated
manager to keep on track. If you do well, there will be much more in
the future.

Project Phases:
- The first phase of the project involves documenting the current
wiring in schematic and physical form (wire lengths, parts, etc).
- We then want to conduct a design review to ensure robustness and
ease of assembly of the current system.
- After any modifications to the design are made, we want to work with
an assembly house to build these in small (10s) quantities.

Specific Talents requested:
- Knowledge of ruggedized wiring best practice
- Use of Eagle for schematic layout
- Development of BOMs
- Documentation and information management
- Specing and interaction with assembly houses for wire harnesses,
cable assemblies, and enclosure build out

Respond to "manufacturing at allpowerlabs.org", stating your interest,
qualifications and/or questions. We plan to review these over the
weekend and early next week, for a start mid next week.

jim