[Gasification] Benefits of boosting compression ratio with producergas

Bill Klein Bill_Klein at 3iAlternativePower.com
Sat Feb 26 18:57:19 CST 2011

Thank you, Tom. That was elegantly said.

i hope all is well with you and that Winter is treating you tolerably.

Keep smiling!

Bill Klein,
3i
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Thomas Reed
  To: Discussion of biomass pyrolysis and gasification
  Cc: gasification at lists.bioenergylists.org
  Sent: Saturday, February 26, 2011 7:04 PM
  Subject: [Gasification] Benefits of boosting compression ratio with producergas

  Dear Toby and all

  Th compression ratio of the engine is a purely mechanical concept, the ratio of the cylinder volume at bottom dead center to that at top dead center, BDC/TDC.  To this must be added any extra onto pressure from turbocharging,

  Simple thermodynamics predicts and practice shows that both power and efficiency increase linearly with CR.  Since producer gas has an octane over 180, various groups have been "souping up " gas engines, using CR in excess of 18/1.  Little old producer gas has grown up.

  Tom Reed.   BEF

  Dr Thomas B Reed
  President, The Biomass Energy Foundation
  www.Woodgas.com