[Gasification] Sawdust in Fan TLUD

Thomas Koch tk at tke.dk
Sun Jun 5 10:29:06 CDT 2011

I 100 % agree with Tom - the same relations apply top straw dividers - you can get a farm designed thing that can produce 10 tons pr hour for 1 hours a day for 40.000 € - and you have to pay 250000 € for a chipper that can deliver 7 tons pr hour 24/7/12.

Concerning the physiscs of how to press biomass through holes i disagree with you on the basic mechanisms you describe.
If you measure the ration of Poisson for biomass with increasing moisture content you see an increase from 0,1-0,2 at 5 % dm to 1 at 50 % moist.
You will also find that biomass with 45 % dm is vitually pumpable at high pressures but biomass at low moisturecontent are not.
I think what is happening is that the water is leaving the back of the "plug" thus give raise to poissons ratio in the far end of the plug and thus giving force perpendicular to the direction of motion and thus getting stuck.
Thus the reason for water decreasing the friction in biomass in channels is that the water takes up some of the force - the friction biomass-steel is almost independent of moisturecontent