[Gasification] [Digestion] [Stoves] [biochar] Orange Peels

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Sun Jun 26 22:56:37 CDT 2011

Crispin,

AD responded right away on June 24 in the digestion list:

"Dear Tom,

the peels can be charred in a charring kiln of the TLUD as well as of the
oven and retort type. If the essential oil has been extracted from the peel,
it can serve as feedstock in a biogas plant, but if the essential oil has
not been extracted, I don't think that the peel could be digested in a
biogas plant as the sole substrate, because the essential oil in the peel
may kill the methanogens. But mixed with other material, it can be digested.
One would have to conduct experiments to find out the correct ratio of peel
to other substances.

Yours

A.D.Karve"

His comments regarding digestion were confirmed by others on the digestion
list.

Tom