[Gasification] sidebar Ideal Gas Law for engineering

Mark Ludlow mark at ludlow.com
Sun Mar 6 01:52:55 CST 2011

Hi Luke,

We know that pressure in a gas is a result of the random motion of gas molecules colliding with the walls of a vessel (simple explanation; not every gas molecule has the same kinetic energy and the energy is proportional directly to mass as well as to the square of the velocity and distributed according to Maxwell’s distribution). We also know that the atmosphere on Earth is held in place by gravity. We all know about ‘escape velocity’. At a given temperature, a gas will have a certain bulk property called kinetic energy. Individual gas molecules that are heavier can have the same energy as a gas that is lighter but moving faster. The lightest gas is H2 which has a tendency of some part of its velocity distribution to reach escape velocity and head for the sun.

So, using this as an example: To fight diffusion, first it helps to slow the average temperature of a gas down so that the transfer of kinetic energy between molecules is reduced. The closer one gets to absolute zero, the easier this becomes. As the temperature of a gas increases, so does the mean velocity of gas molecules and so does the propensity of a gas to diffuse with other species. (It takes longer.)

Sorry there’s no magic number, because there are no “Maxwell’s Demons” in charge of things, separating slower, higher-mass molecules from faster, lower-mass molecules. One other thing to consider: if a field force such as gravity (even if “simulated” by a centrifuge) is used, separation efficiency is proportional to mass difference, not to molecular weight (relative mass) ratios. N2 and O2 are only about 13% different in weight, so centrifugal separation would be more difficult than, say, separating H2 and N2. Just for another reality check, gas centrifuges often operate at 100,000 rpm, with mag bearings and electromagnetic pulse drives (and are heated to create a convective flow inside their chambers for separated gas collection).

Mark