[Gasification] Benefits of boosting compression ratio

Ken Boak ken.boak at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 04:28:03 CST 2011

>From our experiments with the slow speed Lister at APL, we found that even
at 13:1 CR, that our woodgas spark conversion produced nearly as much power
out of the alternator as the diesel version would with it's stock 17:1 CR.

We put this down to the fact that when you draw in a woodgas/air mix  it is
nearly half fuel and half air, so we were getting sufficient BTU into the
engine on each intake stroke to match the performance of the diesel version.

It is the intention to see just how high we can push up the CR before we get
predetonation.  Reports from India have suggested that 17:1 is possible.

If this is the case, then there might be the case that a spark converted
diesel engine, is a better starting point for a woodgas engine, than a
gasoline engine which has a much lower CR.  The diesel is ruggedised to take
the stresses of the higher CR, and if this allows greater output on woodgas,
or minimises the derating, then this might be a good way to proceed.

Further experimentation needed.

Ken