[Gasification] Charcoal Gasifiers

Robert Kana sinan at biomassindo.com
Sun May 8 12:07:31 CDT 2011

Dear Tom,
We have tried using charcoal for engine quality gas in 2 types of
gasifiers. One was our own design, downdraft with tuyers and throat, the
other design was also downdraft grateless design. At first we had some
clingers problems, later fixed with adjusting air volume. Gas comes out
pretty clean. We washed for cooling gas, in a venturi type washer, used
wood chips/sawdust/charcoal for filter medium. Charcoal used was kemiri
(some type of nuts grow in Indonesia) shells, coconut shells, regular
wooden charcoal pieces and briquette charcoal pieces.
The result was OK. Because charcoal cost here is more, we stopped with
the charcoal gasification, now concentrating on rice husk and wood chips.
Any other details you need to know, we will try to answer.
Actually I have almost 30 tons of charcoal pieces in stock, we were
originally thinking to built gasifier for use in our own generator. But
the charcoal pieces we can sell for $ 300.00 for ton. Rice husk here
cost $ 39.00 a ton and we get almost as clean gas from rice husk as
charcoal.
Robert