[Gasification] Gasified rice husk for CNG tanks

randyc29 at comcast.net randyc29 at comcast.net
Thu May 19 18:46:44 CDT 2011

Hello All,

Although I have read many articles about gasification, I have not come across one that gave me a full picture of the feasibility of using gasified rice husk and compressing it to fill CNG tanks.

I'm a native of the Philippines and have been living in the US for many years.  However, I plan to move back to the Philippines to possibly start an organic farm, a piggery, or some sort of farming.

Rice husk is easily accessible in the Philippines because current method entails the husk being burned in open air, since few has found uses for it.  Juxtaposed to this is the use of CNG/Propane tanks for cooking in majority of households.  My question is:  How viable and cost effective  is it to gasify the rice husk, remove the hydrogen sulfide, and compressed the biogas into CNG tanks?

1. I've seen plans regarding the construction of gasifiers.  I'm sort of a handyman, and I think I can construct one, or perhaps pay a welder.  It may also be cheaper if I use materials while I'm in country.

2. I have not seen a cheap way to remove hydrogen sulfide.  Several articles and videos I have seen required the use of metal shavings or steel wool.  Using this in a large scale may be quite expensive in the Philippines.  Has anyone come up with a better and more cost effective solution?  This would actually be a major requirement because the gas will be stored in metal (propane) tanks

3. I've read about some "home-use" gas compressors that are used to compress the natural gas.  Does anyone have experience on this?  How much would a system typically cost?

If I get the rice husk started, I wish to also start a piggery.  Although pig farming may provide limited profit, I wish to actually build a bio-digester (using the same tarp as those in landfills).  The biogas from this will be used to run generators - electricity is also in demand in the Philippines, and this investment may prove productive.

Can anyone help me on my plans?  I have been doing a lot of research on my free time, but what I see are typically successful stories with limited details on the project.  I am hoping for a more exhaustive details, hopefully outlining the difficulties and problems they encountered in each phase of their projects.  I'm also hoping that one could help me with valves, guages, and other gadgets/electronics I may use.

Thanks so much,

Randy Campana