[Gasification] Underwater gasification?

David G. LeVine dlevine at speakeasy.net
Tue May 24 12:32:46 CDT 2011

On 05/23/2011 11:48 PM, GF wrote:
> Further to marine propulsion using the principles of a water jet. The
> Humphrey pump I inspected at Chingford ran on coal gas, it did not
> have the "high speed" suggested by Dan.
> It performed ten power strokes a minute lifting ten tons of water 54
> feet per stroke.The delivery pipe diameters were large, suggesting
> high volume low velocity. This same  pendulum action could be achieved
> with suitable water conduits designed into the construction of the
> vessels hull, low in the keel. the cross section of which need not
> necessarily be circular.
>  Designing a propulsion system for a boat would probably require the
> inclusion of an accumulator to provide a fairly constant pressure to
> an "out put main" where jets at strategic points could be manipulated
> for steering and manouverability.One feature of of an engine with a
> fluid piston is the shape of the combustion chamber can be designed to
> suit a constant pressure explosion, where as the piston can be cone
> shaped increasing in surface area on descent.
> I think it would be fairly simple and low cost to build an air
> compressor to start with by boring a hole in the ground and install a
> pipe within a pipe.and get a column of water "see sawing' up and down
> the hole using the water as a ram to compress air, by exploding gas at
> one end of the column
> .
> GF

Another point, if you look at theLockwood valveless pulse jet engine
<http://www.zachmiers.com/pulsejetbook/> as described by Bruce Simpson
(not Bart!), you will see "Thrust Augmentors"
<http://www.aardvark.co.nz/pjet/valveless.htm>, which allow higher
thrust by trading velocity for mass flow.  That would help on a boat.

Dave  8{)