[Gasification] Underwater gasification?

Henri Naths c_hnaths at telusplanet.net
Thu May 26 14:58:28 CDT 2011

Hi Anand
 I believe we are talking about the dynamic forces of propulsion.
<I was comparing the friction of the boat with water with the friction of a
loaded cart on
land.>
Here you are comparing the friction of water to air and the wheel bearings
or commonly known as friction of rolling resistance .. not land ( I'm
assuming the cart has wheels.. my bad .. if the cart had no wheels the
common name for that is a stone boat.)
there are two vital forces here:
1.. hp
2..resistance
The hp required is the hp needed to overcome friction.  I believe density
difference of the two surrounding  mediums plays a vital role in this
analysis.
This is what I know about the properties of dynamic propulsion:
Researching boat hull friction  you appreciate the difference of water to
air density. This is why the general  mode of transportation went from water
to land including airplanes because it was easier or more efficient.
I will illustrate with this example:  Take a sail area of a boat in the
water and compare this to the same sail area of a boat on land with
wheels..(even less friction is the blades on an ice sailing boat)  You will
find it is alot easier to move the boat on land.
In a comparison  analyst you have to take the exact same dynamics to arrive
at a proper conclusion.
Are we on the same page? or did I miss something.

Putting these dynamic properties of propulsion in perspective, the friction
losses in a Humphrey-inspired water jet  idea does not equal the friction
losses in a piston engine: less moving parts equals more hp.
(the jet engine surpassed the piston engine for the exact same reasons)
ps. an ice sailboat can get speed up to 90 m.p.h. ,that is at least a 2-1
advantage over the fastest sailboat boat on water.