[Gasification] [Stoves] Wood chips for syngas energy

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Mon Oct 10 11:34:47 CDT 2011

This example highlights the hazards in solid fuel gasification and combustion. We may hear the full story on the explosion eventually. There are explosions in wood dryers and boilers that you never hear about. Root causes for explosions can be in the fuel, the design of the system, or in the operation of the system, so I wouldn't condemn the supplier out of hand, but then I am not a news reporter.

I heard that the plant did have a complex history. Johnson Controls was the general contractor and therefore responsible for the plant operation. There were a number of component suppliers. Nexterra supplied the gasifier and boiler. Others supplied the fuel system. Startups of this scale are never easy and sometimes can be bad. We heard of problems in construction and startup. I had understood that most of the problems had been resolved. I wouldn't expect any supplier to advertise problems on their website.

Nexterra has supplied some very successful plants of the same size and capacity. I have visited both their plant in Hefley, Canada, which has operated for six years, and their pilot plant in nearby Kamloops several times. I visited two, larger, gasifiers at Kruger paper mill, Kruger (Vancouver, BC) after a year of operation. I spoke last week with the manager of a new system they installed at U of Northern British Columbia. All of those owners are quite pleased. I haven't visited Dockside or USC. The housing facility at the small Dockside Green plant was only half filled when I last checked so I don't know if the low production is due to low demand, fuel prices or other causes.

There is another hazard that would not be obvious if you have not done it before, and that is installing industrial solid fuel burning equipment in a non-industrial setting like a university or office building. It is a completely different environment than an industrial plant. Facilities personnel in these institutions do not have the same skills, safety training, or attitude that you require in an industrial plant. Management's approach to capital projects is completely different. Instead of looking for solutions to problems they more often "search for the guilty" or they have a variety of agendas that are often not related to building a heating system. That is why companies like Johnson Controls who build and operate plants like this get the contracts and take the responsibility.

Tom