[Gasification] Best biomass for gasification

Thomas Reed tombreed2010 at gmail.com
Wed Oct 12 05:44:23 CDT 2011

Dear Clement and all

An approximate formula for most woody biomass is

C H1.4 O0.6

Which means that for every atom (or "mole", the molecular weight, 12 grams, of carbon) there will be 1.4 moles of hydrogen (weighing 1.4 grams, since the molecular weight of hydrogen is 1) and 9.6 grams of oxygen (MW of O is 16, 0.6x16 = 9.6).

So most biomass will produce the SAME amount of gas on a weight basis, eg

C H1.4 O0.6 +  0.2 O2 ==> CO + H2

MW.     23.           6.4.          28.     2

23 Gm of biomass would yield 30 grams of gas.

This is an idealized equation and would require external heat. Some of the CO must be burned to CO2 to provide it.

Tom Reed

AKA

Dr Thomas B Reed
The Biomass Energy Foundation