[Gasification] rotary valve sources/experience?

Robert Kana sinan at biomassindo.com
Sun Sep 11 12:26:40 CDT 2011

Dear Jim,
It was hard for us to stop the air leak for the smaller gasifiers with
wood chips. Since ash was so little, we used water lock on the ash
outlet and for feeding the wood chips, we just turn off the pump, open
the top and refill. We had several units operating almost 6 months now
and no complaints from the customers, very little smoke comes out for 30
seconds.
On the larger rice husk or chicken waste gasifiers, bio char is so much
and we do not want to wet it. After so many trials, we enlarge the char
area and are using now screw to take out the char. We also extend the
screw a little longer to stop the smoke coming out. For the shaft seal
we used asbes sealer, that is working fine.
If we use to blow the air, we feed the gasifier with screw feeding
system with air tight tubes. For suction units, suction blower is
installed after cooling and washing the gas and small air leaks to
gasifier is not a problem.
Regards,
Robert