[Gasification] [biochar] ICM gasifier project comes to a close

Tom Miles tmiles at trmiles.com
Wed Dec 26 22:13:21 CST 2012

Peter,

There are probably more gasifier chars used as biochar than most people
realize. I agree that gasification chars seem to be very useful for use as
biochar. I haven't really seen enough thorough analysis of gasifier chars to
be able to generalize on their characteristics as distinct from pyrolysis
chars.  I do question your statement about gasifier chars being less
alkaline than pyrolysis chars. Given the same feedstock a gasifier char will
have higher ash, higher pH, and likely higher alkalinity than a pyrolysis
char.

Tom