[Gasification] Mr Charcoal PDFed

Dick Gallien dickgallien at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 13:14:47 CST 2012

Hi Jeff,

On your Mr. Charcoal.  Larry Dobson did a design for gasifying brush with
the rr tank I have, but it cost the guy I got the 80 hp. 150 psi Milwaukee
Boiler from, $10,000 to have steam fitters hook it up, over 20 years ago,
so I didn't have the money to follow Larry's plan.  Recently I spent $4500
for welding, knowing that at 80, if I don't experiment now, the tank will
just be another dust collector.  In that the tank is 30' X 10' dia X 1"
thick, a 7' X 7' door, at 2200 lbs. was cut, with a neat, simple hinge,
that swings and latches securely, for unloading biochar, with a skid
loader.  The top of a 11' dia fuel tank, that hangs over the 10' dia tank,
was cut off, so it can be easily removed with the log truck.  The end of
April, when I can get the old log truck running and more brush comes to
this compost site, I'll start experimenting.

When I put a 10' dia. tank, 8' in the ground, started a burn at the base
and added brush every 15 minutes, for 6 hrs., until it was full of red
coals, then put a lid on, with only a 4" dia. hole at the top and obviously
no air from beneath, the cover was too hot to touch, for 4 weeks, there
were no visible emissions, just an acrid smell, down wind and it charred
all the brush.  I put a  10.5' dia X 16' fuel tank in the ground and
 started a fire at the base, which also burned, where as a 55 gal. drum
doesn't burn well, without bottom air, so it will be interesting for me to
see, if with a 10' dia. tank, full of dry, compacted brush, what a TL,
without the lid on and no updraft, will do, in that with the large dia., it
makes it's own top draft.  I assume that if that works, then with another
batch, after it is started, the lid, with the 4" dia hole at the top, can
be put on, which should put the pyrolysis out, but maybe not.

Will quench whatever, from the top, with compost tea, knowing that when the
door is opened, the ensuing dust and blaze would be unbearable.  There are
pictures of the tank on the web page. Would appreciate any thoughts.
Thanks for listening,  Dick

Dick Gallien
22501 East Burns Valley Road
Winona  MN  55987
dickgallien at gmail.com  [507]454-3126
www.thefarm.winona-mn.us

Prison bars do the confining, allowing the prisoner a mental freedom not
possible in schools, where an endless barrage of assignments, lectures,
questions and tests, serve the same purpose, under the guise of education,
while distracting as efficiently as the cracking of whips, keeping the
imprisoned from discovering and pursuing their passions or noticing that
there are no real bars------and by the time they might realize the purpose
of their confinement, it is too late.