[Gasification] Active charcoal

Anand Karve adkarve at gmail.com
Sun Feb 19 20:21:15 CST 2012

Dear Darius,
  Normally one needs relatively high temperature to make active charcoal,
but the pretreatment with calcium chloride allows us to make active
charcoal even at relatively low temperatures. We make charcoal from light
biomass like agricultural waste and use a TLUD type kiln. You would have to
conduct experiments using your biomass and your process of charring to see
if this pretreatment works in your case or not.
Yours
A.D.Karve
On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 11:01 PM, Darius <darius_tamizi at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Dr. A.D. Karve
>
> Charring material are rubber wood.
>
> Could you tell me the detail process?
>
> Regards,
>
> Darius
>
> On 2/18/2012 9:56 PM, Anand Karve wrote:
>
> Dear Darius,
> what material are you charring? We make our charcoal from leaves of
> sugarcane, which are discarded during the process of sugarcane harvest. By
> soaking the leaves in 5% solution of calcium chloride, dying them and then
> converting them into char in a TLUD kiln gives us active charcoal. We have
> not tested this process in the case of woody material. Perhaps you can do
> this experiment.
> Yours
> A.D.Karve
> On Sat, Feb 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM, Darius <darius_tamizi at hotmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Is somebody  there can help me to convert our char into active charcoal?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Darius
>>

>> Dr. A.D. Karve
>> Trustee & Founder President, Appropriate Rural Technology Institute (ARTI)

> for more Gasifiers,  News and Information see our web site:http://gasifiers.bioenergylists.org/

***