[Gasification] PE plastic bags & ethylene

Carefreeland at aol.com Carefreeland at aol.com
Mon Jul 2 22:08:27 CDT 2012

In a message dated 7/2/2012 9:59:29 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
realpowersystems at gmail.com writes:

DD: Dan Dimiduk comments

Our view  is that the ethylene pathway is likely to be the most
achievable of the  gas upgrading options for smaller scale gasification
(1-5 tonnes/hr feed  rates). Produced as a co-product through a dedicated
retort with depleted  exhaust gases from this used to fuel a generator.
Ethylene is relatively  easy to form from CO & H2 as the catalytic retort
needed operates at  very modest temperatures and pressures (300oC &
150psi). The ethylene  produced can then be compressed and transported as
for LPG. It could be  added to existing reticulated natural gas lines,
used directly as a  transport fuel or as a feed stock for ethanol &/or
plastics  manufacture. The ultimate in recycling, generating virgin
material from  used. When we are over the current speed bumps on our
journey we might  have a crack at it (excuse the pun).

Peter

DD I like this approach. Ethylene has the fossil fuel world buzzing here in
 Ohio because they found a lot of natural gas liquids in the overlap zone
of the  Utica Shale. ( The overlap zone between the oil rich shale to the
west and the  gas rich shale to the east.) Butane and Propane, often found with
the Ethylene  is also in real demand as a chemical feedstock and might be
produced in similar  fashion. Other places around the world were not blessed
with such natural  resources and might really benefit from creating their
own.

        Dan Dimiduk